Posted: September 24, 2017
Families of James Hill,
Here are some updates and reminders for the week ahead:
- A reminder to return student information, technology use, and media release forms if you have not already done so.
- Friday, September 29 is Orange Shirt Day – a day to honour the survivors of Indian Residential Schools and to remember those who did not make it home. Teachers will be discussing Residential Schools in an age-appropriate manner this week. We encourage students to wear orange on Friday.
- Thank you to all those who supported our fundraiser for the Terry Fox Foundation and who came out to help with the Terry Fox Run. Together we achieved our goal and raised $1030!
- Thank you to everyone who helped with the Corn Roast and Meet the Teacher!
- Don’t forget about our free breakfast program that takes place every school day from 8:00-8:30 in W16 (northwest corner of the school). This worthwhile program is in need of volunteers – please sign up here.
- A reminder that Friday, October 6 is a Curriculum Implementation Day so there is no school for students.
Some information for parents:
- Langley District Parent Advisory Council – In recognition and support of Langley’s Aboriginal Education Enhancement Agreement, the DPAC is pleased to open the year with a traditional Aboriginal Drumming and Blanket Exercise acknowledging the traditional territories of Kwantlen, Katzie, Matsqui and Semiahmoo First Nations. Please join us for this special event.
- DPAC General Meetings are held in the Boardroom at the Langley School Board Office (4875 222 Street) beginning at 7pm and are open to ALL parents. Please see our website for more details: www.langleydpac.ca
- Choice Program Reminder
- Families applying for first year entry into any choice program for September 2018 will need to apply online. The online application system opens at12:00PM (noon) Monday, October 2, 2017 and closes 12:00PM (noon), Monday, October 16, 2017.
- On December 8, 2015, the Board of Education adopted changes to Policy 5084 (Application to Enter Choice Programs). Important information outlining these changes may be found here, under Programs & Initiatives, Programs of Choice.
- These programs include:
- Early French Immersion (Kindergarten – Belmont, James Kennedy)
- Late French Immersion (Grade 6 – Alex Hope, Noel Booth, Betty Gilbert)
- Montessori (Kindergarten – Uplands)
- Fine Arts (Kindergarten – Langley Fine Arts)
- Coghlan Fundamental (Kindergarten – Coghlan)
- Langley Fundamental (Kindergarten – Langley Fundamental)
- These programs include:
- ADHD Workshop for Parents and Youth – Ted Leavitt from Langley Youth and Family Services with speak about his experience with ADHD and will offer powerful insights into understanding and supporting children and youth who have ADHD. (Note from Mr. Wejr – I have heard very strong positive feedback from past attendees of this session)
- When: Wednesday, October 25th from 6:00 – 8:00 pm
- Where: Yorkson Creek Middle School
- Don’t forget to check the school district community bulletin board for information on parenting workshops and many opportunities for kids in our area.
- Want to stay connected to info and events at the school? Click here to find out how you can access information through text messaging and social media!
Have a great week!