June 10, 2019
Dear James Hill Families,
Another busy week has passed at James Hill! We had a tremendous Sports Day on Friday, and while it rained at the beginning, the sunshine came out and we had a great day. Thank you to all the parents who came to help volunteer and also cheer our students on. Special thanks to our HDSMS students who helped run the stations and to the PAC for the FREE hotdog lunch! A fun day was had by all!
Our youngest learners had an exciting week as the butterflies have arrived! There were plenty gasps of excitement as students were able to actually watch the butterflies emerge from their chrysalis! There are also loads of field trips happening right now providing students with wonderful, experiential learning opportunities. Thank you to our amazing teachers for organizing these learning events for our students!
Parking Lot Changes:
You likely have noticed our newly painted parking lot, thanks to the maintenance department at the School Board Office! We have a few things that have changed in the flow of traffic:
– When using the inner DROP-OFF/PICK-UP lane, please REMAIN IN YOUR VEHICLE and pull forward as space opens up. Please do not block those behind you in the lane. All vehicles in the drop off/pick up lane should pull as far forward as possible.
– When using the DRIVE-THRU lane, please continue moving when safe to do so. Students should not be getting into or out of the vehicles in this lane. This lane is for moving traffic only. Drivers: please use extreme caution when in this lane.
– We have a new CROSSWALK for students and families to walk safely from the school to the parking lot. Please only cross the lanes at the crosswalk (modeling this for our children is very important). Please do not park on/over the crosswalk.
– We have several new VISITOR PARKING stalls beside the median/island. Whenever possible, please have your child enter and exit the vehicle on the driver’s side as to not block the Drive-Thru lane.
– The Yellow Lined area is a NO PARKING zone. Please do not stop, park or pick up your child in this area.
Thank you for your cooperation in making our parking lot safer for our students. We also have a great student video to help you learn the new parking lot system: https://youtu.be/IPm182PkWPw
School Supplies for Fall 2019:
It is that time of year again that we starting thinking about next year.
Below this memo are the instructions on how to order your School Supplies for your child’s next year’s grade. The list has been chosen by our teachers and put together as a package from Staples, the company we use to order our supplies.
This is an online ordering form with a specific code for each grade. There are two options for kits. Option 1 has no headphones and Option 2 has headphones. You may choose the kit you like. If you have headphones at home you may send those to school in the Fall with your child. Please use your child’s name when filling out the online form so we know who to give the kit to in September. (with parents/children with different last names it can be tricky). Thank you.
You may also go into the store to pay if you wish. Please take the attached letter to the store to be sure your child’s supplies arrive with the other kits.
In September your child will receive duo-tangs from their teacher and the payment will be made through School Cash Online. (We order in bulk and we, as teachers, like the students to have the same coloured duo-tangs as it makes it easier for organizing our subjects).
DEADLINE to order is JULY 5th 2019.
Final Report Cards:
Final report cards will be issued through MyEd on June 27. We encourage you to log on to your MYEDBC Family Portal before the report cards go out at the end of the month to check that everything is OK with your account. Once logged in, please make sure you have access to every one of your student’s information who are currently attending a Langley School District school.
Please see the attachment for Family Portal tips.SD35 Family Portal (Poster-Final Report)
*Important information to know for parents: Link for assistance with Family Portals:https://www.sd35.bc.ca/students-parents/myedbc-family-portal-help/
Transportation registration is now open for the 2019/2020 school year. Families can register online athttps://www.sd35.bc.ca/schools/transportation/. We now have “E-link”, a new additional component that provides updated bus stop information to families at any given time. “E-link” instructions will be posted on the District website August 19th, and families can access their bussing information there. We will also make this system accessible to administrators and administrative assistants for increased visibility of transportation assignments.
The deadline of June 28th ensures that the Transportation Administration can meet the requirements of the Commercial Vehicle Safety Enforcement Branch for the September startup. If you miss the registration, a late registration will be open August 3rd to September 16th. If you register late, please arrange to transport your child(ren) for a minimum of the first three weeks of the new school year to allow time to load these late registrations.
Additional changes are listed as follows:
Changes to Online Registration
- There are two registration links this year: non-International students and International students.
- The closing date for registration is June 28th (Once registration is closed, the transportation staff will create the needed routes and load the registrations)
- International Homestay Parents can request refunds email@example.com
- Parents will be given access to E-Link by August 19th to allow access to see bus stop locations for their own child(ren). (More information will be sent out regarding the use of E-Link in August).
Important Dates to Remember:
Monday- Friday, June 10-14: Grade 5’s to Operation Waterproof
Friday, June 14: LSS Grad Walk 12:50 pm; Popcorn Day
Wednesday, June 20: Grade 4 and 5 classes to Cultus Lake Waterslides
Friday, June 21: National Indigenous Peoples Day; Assembly (time TBA)
Tuesday, June 25: Grade 5 Farewell 1:00 pm in gym
Wednesday, June 26: Grade fives visit Stafford in am
Thursday, June 27: Talent Show; last day of school, dismissal at 11:36 am; Report cards issued in MyEd
Have a wonderful week!
Mrs. Kendra Simonetto